Monday, December 13, 2010

Electric Motor Lube Program

I have reviewed motor bearing failures from my corporate CMMS (14 large wastewater plants) and found that motor bearings very rarely meet the engineers design life expectations, L10 (I am a mechanical engineer by training, so I was curious about whether what they taught us in design was paying off in the field). I know that the operating environment is probably a contributing factor, however, I believe that the lubrication program might the leading contributor to the shortened bearing life for motors.

As it turns out, many of the bearing failures for motors result from over lubrication and/or lubrication with contamination in it. These are the two areas to study in your program to extend the bearing life in plant motors.

I came across a great article last week that lays out some very specific steps to take to improve the overall motor bearing life: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/749/electric-motor-regreasing.

Take a look and see if there are suggestions that can help your motor preventive maintenance program.

No comments:

Post a Comment